The reason I'm glad, is if he did read my blog, he would then know that I made Apple Dumplings with out having him over or even saving him one. If he knew, I would be in deep doo-doo. Apple Dumplings are one of my dads favorites! So if you run into my father in the grocery store please keep the fact that I made Apple Dumplings quiet. Thank you.
Apple Dumplings are easy, and a fun treat to make with your kiddos. If you are not fond of making your own pie crust, feel free to purchase pie crust from the refrigerator section of your grocery store. Voila!
Another fact that is raising my guilt-o-meter is the fact that my Dad went out of his way to hunt down the cookbook from the local parish, so I would have this recipe and would make it for him. Oh Good Golly, I'm gonna need to make these when he comes over next time....to ease my dumplin' guilt.
Easy steps to make melt in your mouth Apple Dumplings~ from the Wright Way to Cook cookbook.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Bring 2 cups water, 2 cups brown sugar, 1 stick butter, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon to a boil in a sauce pan.
Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Peel and core 6 apples. Jonathans are my favorite for this recipe.
3. Prepare Pie Crust, you can find my recipe here. (Or if you prefer to buy it you will need 3 Pillsbury crusts.) Separate into 6 sections.
place 1 tablespoon of brown sugar in hole,
sprinkle with cinnamon, use as much as you like
top the hole off with a 1/2 tablespoon of butter.
5. Lightly dampen edges of dough with egg white or water, pull dough up around apple...
crimping dough at the top and forming it around apple with the palm of your hand.
6. Brush with egg white. You can leave it as is or if you are feeling fancy....
you can use some of the extra dough to make leaves and a stem. The egg white will act as glue to hold them on for you.
Place Apple Dumplings in a baking dish, where they will have space, you don't want them touching.
7. Now take the Brown Sugar Syrup and pour it all over the Dumplings. Lucky Dumplins' I would love to take a bath in this stuff!
Pop in 375 degree preheated oven for 35-40 minutes!
Printable recipe Makes 6.
2 cups Brown Sugar
2 cups Water
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 stick Butter
6 medium baking Apples, peeled and cored. Jonathans are what I prefer.
3 tablespoons Butter
6 tablespoons Brown Sugar
Cinnamon for sprinkling
1 egg white
These also freeze well. You can freeze them together or individually in mini deep dish pie pans, from freezer to oven add 15-20 minutes baking time for frozen dumplings. I should probably make my dad some for his freezer. That would be a what a good daughter would do. A daughter with a guilty conscience.
Do you call these Apple Dumplings? Or do you have another name for them in your neck of the woods?
What ever you call them, in the words of my father they are.....