October 06, 2010

Tailgater Hot Wings


Do you tailgate? I mean really tailgate...not like the college drink beer at 9:30 am kind of tailgating. I love football, I love food, so naturally I love to tailgate! Last Friday night was Homecoming for our High School, and my good friend Cath put together a little party to celebrate. There was so much food....good golly. I was not sure I was going to be able to make the trek from the parking lot to the stands. There was Cathy's Famous Chili, Pulled Pork, Meatballs, my Hot Wings and many other delicious morsels.

My boys love hot wings....my second son actually is nicknamed Hotsauce....the kids eats Cholula hot sauce on everything! They were not happy with me because I deviated from the Buffalo Hot Wing recipe that they love. Sorry boys, mama gets bored with the same old recipes...

To start you will need to rinse, dry and trim the wing tips off 30 chicken wings. Place them in a plastic or glass bow.

Next you will need to introduce these two clowns to each other. 1/2 cup Franks and a 1 stick of butter, melt butter in sauce pan and whisk in the hot sauce, pour over wings. Let this marinate minimum of 2 hours and up to 24 hours. Toss them around a few times to make sure that all the wings are enjoying the party.


Now at this point you can throw these wings in hot oil and fry them or you can throw them on your grill, and cook them that way. Of course I chose the fried version....hey I was trying to get them as close to restaurant style as possible.

Put 2 cups flour seasoned with Lawry's seasoning salt in a Ziploc bag. Pour 1/4 inch vegetable oil in bottom of a frying pan, turn heat on medium. If the oil sizzles when you put a pinch of flour in, then you are ready to fry-em-up!


Dredge the wings in the flour, make sure they are well coated, that butter and hot sauce with help the flour take hold.


Zip up the bag, give them a friendly toss.


Then put as many in the pan as you can fit at one time. 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Have a cookie sheet lined with paper towels waiting to drain wings on.


There they are, all ready to to take a dip in the hot sauce again.



Sweet&Hot sauce recipe is below, mix up the ingredients in a sauce pan , bring to a boil and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. If you want to make the original Buffalo Hot Wings then that's easy, just repeat the 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup Franks Original Hot Sauce.


Dip each wing in the sauce, just the top side, lay them on baking sheets.





Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 10-15 minutes. Now if you chose to grill them you would follow the same steps after the grilling, dip, lay, dip, lay, until they are all dipped and laid out on baking sheets.


Oh Yeh, that's what I am talkin' bout. Finger lickin' good. Place them on a platter with celery sticks and my homemade Blue Cheese Salad Dressing and you are ready to head to the party. I baked mine just before we were going to head out and then covered them with tin foil until we were ready to eat.

Tailgater Hot Wings
30 chicken wings
1 sticks of butter
1/2 cup Franks Redhot Original hot sauce
vegetable oil for frying
2 cups flour
Lawry's seasoning salt

Hot&Sweet BBQ Sauce

1/2 cup Franks Redhot Original hot sauce
1/2 barbeque sauce (any kind, I use Sweet Baby Rays original)
1 stick butter
1 tablespoon molasses
2 tablespoons honey

Blue Cheese Dressing
1 1/2 cups crumbled Blue Cheese
1 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
fresh ground pepper and salt to taste



So there you have it. Still a lot more football to be had. It's a great excuse to tailgate or just have a few friends over to watch the game and eat. I have a confession to make regarding hotwings......for me....hmmmhmm...umm, well for me it's all about the Blue Cheese. My ratio of blue Cheese Dressing to wing is a bit heavy on the dressing side. I actually think I might have a serious problem.

This smokin' hot man in the bumble bee vest, is Kenny, he does not care for blue cheese( I have come to terms with it, you just can't have everything in a man...and he is a great guy, so I have been able to move past it), but he does love football, thus the goofy grin, he was running the chains, during the football game, on the opposite side of the field from were I was sitting...hence...blurry picture.

GO TEAM!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. These look so delicious! I love hot wings and so I will be trying these very soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will gladly wear a bumble bee vest if you'll make me a batch of hot wings! And I promise to like blue cheese! ;-)

    ReplyDelete