May 18, 2010

Skidders FAVorite salad

OK, so now I learned how to copy paste on my new computer, and I have only had one call into the tech center at Apple....

I now have a new friend. Hi Sheldon. You were lovely and helpful. And now my mousy knows where it is and is all connected and such.

So YES I am getting used to my computer and calming down about all the new technology in my life. My girl Dee told me I need to get the "girlfriends guide to Twitter" or some such book. "Holy Crap", I said to her, "who the heck has time to read such a thing." And for that matter who had time to write it. Well to each his own, something for everyone, that's what makes the world go round. Right? Right!

Yesterday was my dads 70th birthday. Why do I feel older today? Yesterday my father stepped into another decade, not me.


WEIRD.


I was like"wow oh my gosh you are grandpa agish".

" Ahhh yeh, my dear....I have been grandpa agish sense you made me a grandpa 13 years ago."

This is what my dad was thinking:
Why is my daughter talking like she's back in 1987 again.
Then he furrowed his brow at me and I am sure he was thinking who are you, strange lady, and what have you done with my daughter.

Anyway....needless to say. Yesterday was a weird strange day for me. My dad turning 70 and all.

My dad is a simple man. He does not ever want my sister or I to buy him ANYTHING. Every year before Christmas he calls us and says (in a yelling voice) "I don't want you GIRLS TO BUY ME ANYTHING, I don't need anything......blah, blah, blah". So as you know I am a giver, I love to give stuff away. I love to give little gifts. So it is very hard for me to NOT get my dad something for his birthday and at a milestone birthday at that. But I obeyed. Cause I am a good doo-Bee.

I did make him a dinner full of his favorites. Which mainly constisted of one thing....

Obscene amounts of beef.

We had hamburgers and all the fixens. Steak, AND steak kielbasa!, along with oven roasted potatoes. Then I made my brother-n-law Skidders favorite salad, which now my dad says is HIS favorite salad. This salad says, summer and grillin out. I never make this salad in the winter. Just never occurs to me to make it when it's cold outside.
It is fantastic. It is always a hit.
A friend told me the other day her family calls it Sheila's Salad. But I didn't make it up, I found it in a church cookbook, and tweaked it a little. So I guess after the tweaking and all I could take some credit.


Napa Cabbage Salad....or Skidders Salad
1 large head nappa cabbage
1 bunch green onions
2 pkg. Ramen Noodles
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 (6oz) pkg. sliced almonds
1 stick of butter
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (more if you like pepper)
1. in a sauce pan melt butter. crunch up Ramen Noodles in the package, (you can throw away the flavor packet). Keep heat medium. Add the crunched up noodles to the melted butter, move around until they start to brown then add in the almonds and sesame seeds. Keep moving this around, you don't want it to burn, you just want it to get nice and brown.




Set the crunchy stuff aside.
2. Now wash cabbage and onions and dry. Shred/cut cabbage very thin. Slice the green onion very thin also. Put in a large bowl . Set aside.




3. Now you can mix up your dressing. Combine the oil, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and pepper in a salad dressing shaker or a large measuring cup. Whisk well or shake....


"shake your groove, thang, shake your groove thang yay! yay!'
Sorry had a lil' song pop in my head there.

4. Now you DO NOT want to mix it up early. ONLY mix it up right before you are going to eat it. So if I am bringing it some where. I do all the prep, put the stuff in Ziploc bags and containers separately, set it in the bowl and then toss it together just before the dinner. NOT a half an hour before the dinner JUST before the dinner. The only undesirable thing about this salad it that it doesn't keep well. BUT there are never left overs so that hasn't been too much of a problem.



I hope you enjoy this salad as much as Skidder does!
LuvYA,
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Just made this salad last week for Mother's Day at my parent's house! One of our favorites as well! In a pinch I use the broccoli slaw mix too, that taste yummy as well. Gotta love that Mac :). Hope you are loving it. I am a Mac girl, call if you need me. Never owned or operated a PC. Not sure if I could turn one on.

    ReplyDelete