November 10, 2009

Special FOOD

I have been doing a Bible study this fall on Esther. I have always loved the story of Esther especially the Vegi Tale version. Okay, lets pause here and have a show of hands. Who, other than me can say they learned bible stories from appendage lacking vegetables? Okay I knew that I could not have been the only one, thank you for your honesty. Before studing the book of Esther, it was always a glamorous story for me. Sure Esther had alot on her shoulders saving all the Jews and everything, but she was chosen by the King of Persia for goodness sake....come on we are talking lap of luxury! And to a middle class girl from Coopersville that was all way more appealing to me than the pressure of saving Gods people.

What did I see when I actually had the opportunity to study the book of Esther? I saw alot of partying. Wow, those people could put on a banquet. Lots of food, lots of doing nothing but eating and drinking all day long. Day after day.....that would be fun for a while but even this girl that loves to eat and eat some more and then have dessert too. Would need to have a change of scenery. I also saw that Esther was young, alone, orphaned and raised by her cousin, she was thrown into a beauty competition for the kings favor and had to live with lots of other women. SCARY! She must have been one tough cookie. Okay, this story isn't looking so glamorous anymore. Plus Xerxes the king of Persia was gross. He had different women every night, he drank and ate all day and took evil peoples advice. No, not attractive, or glamorous.

What I saw today, in chapter 9, made my heart LEAP! After Esther rose to her God given task ("for such a time as this"), and went before her gross husband and petitioned for the salvation of her peeps. After the Jews won the battle against their enemy. The people rested THEN they celebrated and gave gifts.(Esther 9:19) Only because of Beth Moore and her research and commentaries from smart Bible people did I find out that "gave gifts" meant gave special food! I love that, cause I love to give gifts of special food. It just gets me sooo excited. ooh... I hope when people see me jumping out of my van with a pie or a dinner or at Christmas time cinnamon rolls, they are as excited as I am. What is your special food? Mine just happens to be food. I find joy in giving people nourishment. Some might find joy in giving laughter, time, teaching, money, labor, a hug, encouragement. I have some friends that are super encourager's, that is something I admire in a person, not just when they encourage me, but when I see them encouraging others that is food too, food for the soul. Wow, God has given us all gifts that we can share. What gives you joy to give? What makes you gasp and feel like smiles are popping out all over your body?

CARMEL CORN
5 qt popped corn (not microwavepopped, but real old fashioned popped corn)
3 sticks butter
3 cups brown sugar firmly packed
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 generous tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
spread the popped corn in a large shallow sheet pan (like a 12x15 sheet cake pan)
Combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a 2qt pan. Place on med. heat, stir until sugar dissolves. Continure to boil to the firm ball stage (248) about 5 minutes (i usually go with the minutes) Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. It will foam, so dont be alarmed just keep stirring. Pour carmel over popcorn stir to mix well. Put carmel ocrn in a preheated to 250 oven bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. cool it and then shovel it into containers and get it to all your friends family and coworkers before it cools!

Hey did you think I was gonna give you my CINNAMON ROLL recipe? Well its not really mine, but I call it mine now cause I have made too many batches to count. You can go to www.thepioneerwomen.com. Plus you will find lots of other awesome, yummy recipes there, have fun! LuvU!

No comments:

Post a Comment