February 24, 2011

Chicken Fontinella revisited

I shared this recipe back in July. I think it's worth sharing again. It's easy to prepare. It's cheesy, creamy, flavor is comforting. The spinach adds much needed vitamin C and iron this time of year. Now don't write this one off because it's full of spinach....."my kids will never eat that!". Do they need to know? Well, I realize they will see it in there...just make them take one bite. My vegetable hater...child #3 even tolerates this meal. (I think he secretly loves it, but his pride keeps him from admitting it!)

I needed to bring a meal to a family in our church that just had a baby, I decided on this dish. One, because it's great leftover. Two, because it's healthy for the nursing mama's. Three, it freezes well so if they already have lots of meals, they could stick it in the freezer and pull it out when they need it. Four, because my kiddos love it so I figure other people would hopefully enjoy it too!



One dish, easy bring them salad and a crusty loaf from the bakery and this meal is complete. I also made some Pumpkin Spice Donut Muffins for a breakfast treat.

Did I say it's easy to double and triple the recipe? You will need a gargantuan bowl, but if you have one you could make a couple of these one to give, one for the freezer, and one for dinner tonight!

Here's what you will need. Chances are you have it all in your pantry. If you don't have the Fontinella cheese, the italian variety of shredded cheese works just as well.

Chicken Fontinella
printable recipe
2 box Uncle Ben's original recipe long grain wild rice (not the fast cook)
4 cups of water
6 oz ham steak cubed
1 lb. of chicken breast or ground chicken
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup fontinella cheese grated
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/4 cup Parmesan
1 stick of butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup milk
2 cups of spinach washed and chopped finely

Here is the original post if you want to see the step by step with directions.

Remember it's nice to share!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word, that looks divine! I'm not sure that I can find fontinella cheese in these parts :); I may have to get creative.

    Sheila, tell your mom that her apron makes me swoon!!! It is so perfectly perky; gosh, I can't bear to cook in it! But I shall!

    Can hardly wait to see a post on the cowgirl dinner party....what fun! Aren't those mushrooms divine? You know what I'd love to see? A beef stew post using those mushrooms.....wouldn't that be good? I've never done it, but I wish someone would and give me the recipe - Sheila, perhaps?

    Thanks again for your generous prize; it's over-the-top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila...this looks wonderful! What cheese could replace Fontinella? I live in rural Western KS and can't find it! I will make this one way or another! :-) Have a wonderful and blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was amazing! Even my picky 3year old loved it.
    I will be making it again very soon. It was even better
    the second day.Thank you for this keeper!

    ReplyDelete