February 22, 2011

Fat Tuesday


It's Fat Tuesday. Every Tuesday feels like fat Tuesday for me....and fat Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday...then I take Sunday off. Sorry. Was that sacrilegious?

Today is the day before Ash Wednesday. The beginning of the Lenten Season...the period, in the liturgical year, leading up to Easter. I grew up in the Catholic faith. Please don't judge me for leaving the Catholic church. I have nothing against it. It just was not where I felt my faith could blossom. Many of the traditions and ways of my childhood religion teachings have stuck with me. Guilt mainly.

Just kidding...not really.

We were told we had to give something up for Lent. It wasn't a choice. I always gave up chocolate. But then kept a bag of M & M's under my bed, and nibbled on them. Oh I was a bad bad girl. The guilt killed me! "I swear Father the devil made me do it!"

Oh Golly, I could write for days on my experiences growing up in the Catholic Church, but I am afraid I might fluff some feathers. And I do not like to fluff feathers. I am a non-feather fluffing kinda gal.

I do believe that fasting is a very good thing, if done for the right reasons.

I am going to attempt to forgo eating after dinner. No snacking, no nibbles of popcorn, no M&M's under my bed. Only water.

Heaven help me.

This is going to be hard. (But that's the point, right?) If Jesus could go 40 days and 40 nights with out food or water and then endure death on a cross for me....well then I should darn well be able to not eat after dinner. You can be sure that I will be prayin'......you can be sure I will be down on my knees askin' the good Lord to help me not take a bite of what ever concoction my kids are begging me to make them for bedtime snacks. Cause you know for the next 40 days my kids are going to be famished at bedtime...they are going to be asking for pancakes, and malteds, grilled cheese, brownies, for me to be warming up leftovers from Thai food the night before!

I gotta go get myself a few dozen Paczkis. We have quite the population of Poles here in the Grand Rapids area. They are fun lovin' and they make a darn good Paczki! Berliner, or Jelly Donut....whatever you want to call um...they are good eaten. If you are into sweet fried dough, filled with fruit and glazed to perfection.

How do you observe Lent? Will you eat a paczki or two today? Whats your favorite filling? Prune, apple, blueberry, custard. I'd love to hear.


Have a great day!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. I know Lent is a Catholic thing, but I don't really know much about it. I do know that fasting is a Bible thing, though, and I have been thinking about starting to do it off and on throughout the year. You're right - it is a good thing if done for the right reasons. I really like your idea of going without food in the evenings - in your case, that's an excellent time to refocus on your relationship with God. I know it'd be difficult for me, too, though! Because I sure do have a relationship with food. Ha! Guess you'll have to tell your kiddos to stop bothering you and fix their own snacks for awhile. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mean to sound weird...and I definetly might be confused, but I just looked and Ash Wednesday is on March 9. And I just looked up on the official Mardi Gras website when fat Tuesday was and it is on March 8. I'm confused Sheila! Help!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't sound weird Shelby...March 8th is Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday the 9th.
    I really enjoyed the photos of the donuts! and am now looking forward to fat tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many Weight Watchers Points is in that delicious donut?? :) I always have the intention of taking Lent to focus my eyes on Jesus more ~ and I love the idea of giving up something to do that. Honestly, I usually forget when the 40 days starts though! Isn't that awful!!!

    ReplyDelete