December 15, 2010

Appetizer FLATBREADS

Pizza, who doesn't like pizza? Oh oops I mean flatbreads. Flatbread sounds hipper, saying flatsbread instead of pizza is nouveau. I like to think I'm with it. ("Like to think" is the key phrase there.) Anyway what could be better than serving every ones favorite as an appetizer. And you can adjust the type of pizza toppings depending on the flavors of the dinner you're serving. Or better yet serve several types of pizzas and a large salad and call it dinner!

I do make my own pizza crust, but I have found a great alternative that I like to use when I am time pinched, Naan bread. It's flat and it's bread! This is what makes these pizza's flatbreads...

I buy the large package of Naan at Costco, it provides enough bread to make 5 or 6 pizzas, that can be cut into 8 pieces each.



I don't want to beat this one over the head, but this is my new favorite, time saver. Petite diced tomatoes with garlic and oil. It packs a punch of garlic flavor with out taking the time to mince garlic.


Drain one 14.5 ounce can of tomatoes, add a heaping tablespoon of fresh or freeze dried basil.



Spread a thin layer of tomatoes over the bread and place thin slices of fresh mozzarella on top. If you only have the shredded variety of mozzarella, that will work just fine too.



Drizzle with olive oil.



Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with Italian spices and fresh grated Parmesan, cut and serve.

The possibilities are endless! Caramelized onion, goat cheese and bacon...be still my soul.


BBQ Chicken: slather on your favorite BBQ sauce, add chicken, and Monterrey jack cheese. Add red onion, or banana peppers to this pizza to jazz it up a bit. You name you can make it on these flatbreads. Blue cheese, bacon, and pine nuts! Oh add some caramelized onions to that one too.....HeeavenLY! I don't even need to make a print out for this, do I? Get creative, the skies the limit. Cut into smallish pieces, as to make sampling more than one, not guilt inducing.

Enjoy!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. You're a culinary genius! Love this idea, and love your blog, Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea too! Right there with you Hyacinth...love this girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea Sheila! Have my Costco list started. Top of the list: Naan bread. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this simple idea, Sheila! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete