September 25, 2010

death by CHOCOLATE chip cookies


I realize that there are a million ways to bake a chocolate chip cookie, and you probably all have your own favorite recipe, and most likely you won't be interested in trying a new one.
But just in case you don't and you are and maybe possibly you are having a hormonal seizure like I was this evening and you need chocolate chip cookies or your head will explode.

I felt sort of like Cookie Monster today...after watching three different sporting events and an afternoon of my oldest daughter and her friend turning our house into a bubble gum factory for their science project. I was wandering around saying, "me need coookie". I whipped out a batch of one of our favorite cookie recipes. Ate too many. Now I feel sick. Now I wish I had more self control when it comes to cookies...because I think I actually might die..or barf. Now I am walking around saying, "Why did I do that, I am never eating another chocolate chip cookie again. Not ever, ever...."

At least for a week.

Some of my best recipes have come from nurses. This is one of them. Norma was one of my husbands favorite nurses at his first job out of residency. He loved her, and her cookies. And she was sweet enough to share the recipe with me, all those years ago.

Now I hope you enjoy it too!

Norma's Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil
24 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
6 oz. milk chocolate chunks
1 cup chopped pecans optional
preheat oven to 325 degrees
1. cream butter and sugars
2. add egg, mix well and scrape down sides of bowl
3. add vanilla, mixing well again
4. mix flour, cream of tartar, and baking soda in a separate bowl
5. alternate adding vegetable oil and flour to butter mixture. Mix well and scrape down sides of bowl a couple times
6. fold in chocolate and pecans
7. spoon (I use a melon baller) onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, bake for 8-10 minutes. NOTE: do not over bake. Take out of oven as soon as cookies start to brown slightly around edge. They will appear undone, let cool on cookie sheet, then remove.

Be sure to enjoy these cookies while they are warm. That's how I prefer all cookies, but these especially!

Now for your viewing pleasure. "Death by Chocolate Chip Cookies" the photo montage.










post signature

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! It is almost identical to my grandma's recipe. I was always my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, you have a good good grandma if she bakes these cookies. Aren't they melt in your mout?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what I always liked about them! I think it is the cream of tartar that does that. :) YUMM!!!!! My hubby likes soft chewy CC cookies... Phoowey on him!

    Grandma's recipe used Crisco instead of butter and had 1tsp salt and 1 Tablespoon of milk added.

    ReplyDelete