September 03, 2010

saucepan BROWNIES

The last weekend of summer. I always get all weird over Labor Day weekend. Feeling like I want to make the most of the last weekend of Summer for me and my family, and it is always Kenny's Birthday over this weekend. Which pretty much stinks, because I NEVER, I mean never every know what to buy this man for his birthday. And it completely stresses me out. It's not that he cares. He doesn't not one iota! But, I am a gift giver, it's one of my primary love languages...and the fact that I, in 17 years, have yet to find the Love of my life the perfect gift gets me all irritated and sweaty and irritated..did I say that all ready?

Today, Kenny had the day off. We had planned to take the kids to Cedar Point this summer, but it never worked out so we compromised with a trip to Michigan's Adventure which is only 50 minutes away instead of 5 hours. Normally it would have been a blast of a day, but if you live in Michigan you know how the weather living on a peninsula can be. Painfully unpredictable. And the nearer you get to the Big Lake the more likely 1. the weather could clear up and be beautiful OR 2. could be windy cold, and the clouds could just hang right on the lake shore. As was the case today. Blah! There were gale force winds for crying out loud! I watched a table umbrella fly off a table and conk a poor mom in the back of the head while she was trying to feed her poor baby a nutritious lunch of french fries, chicken nuggets, and a gigantor Slurpee. Poor mama did not know what hit her. MAN kaPOW! She barely skipped a beat, she shook it off and kept on feeding her youngin's.

What the hector does any of this have to do with brownies you ask. We didn't eat in the park. We actually bailed out, cause the kids were whining and cold and people were flying through the air, and I really didn't feel it was safe to stick my kiddos on roller coasters in that weather. I fell asleep on the ride home, because that's what I do on the way home from trips I fall dead asleep with my mouth wide open, drooling all over myself...real sexy. While I was sleeping I dreamt of brownies, warm out of the oven sticky brownies. I walked straight in the house and whipped up my GOTO Saucepan Brownies. They are just enough if you have a hankerin for chocolate, and they don't make a whole huge pan. They are super quick to make AND I bet you have all the ingredients in your home. Less than 30 minutes and you are eating homemade brownies! What is better than that to get you out of a "ain't got my husband a birthday present, it's the last weekend of summer and it's freakin' cold outside grouchy mood"!


Saucepan Brownies
1 stick butter
2-1 ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
preheat oven 375 degrees

These are so simple. Get all your ingredients out, because you need to just whip them together...don't waste no time my friend.

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, add chocolate squares whisk until melted. If you don't have unsweetened chocolate bars in your pantry then you can use cocoa powder follow the directions on the back.

3 level Tablespoons Cocoa+1 Tablespoon oil = 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate!

Whisk it in there till the chocolate and butter are one smooth party.

Now add sugar and flour with baking powder, whisk in until smooth. Remove from heat and add...


The eggs that you already have cracked in a measuring cup and beat. Mix them in to the chocolate batter...quick, quick...don't dillydally.


Pour into greased 8x8 baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20- minutes. And Voila in less than 30 minutes you can have yourself a very sweet treat!

Look at that. My mood is lifting already. It's gonna be Ok. I'm going to find my husband a present and "I bet your bottom dollah, that tomarrah there'll be sun".... Oh Annie.

Sorry, I lost me senses and broke into a rousing rendition of "Tomorrow". Now I need to ask. Are you a corner or a middle piece person?

My second son is a corner man. He always calls the corner piece in everything! The other kiddos are middle piece people, and ME well, as the growth of my middle has shown, I am a corner/middle/and anything in between person. If I had to pick I would pick the corner...crispy and chewy all in one.

MIDDLE?


CORNER?


Hope your weekend is sunny and SWEET!
LuvYA,

post signature

5 comments:

  1. I can feel those 11 pounds calling me, "We've missed you so." But all things in moderation, right? Love a chocolatey recipe that my posse can polish off in one sitting. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you know that I've been needing chocolate? :)

    I'm a middle person. I like the soft way better than the chew. My husband like the edges though. But if you warm it up and put ice cream on it I'll eat any piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the sexy, drooling mama on the car ride home! And I will try the brownies...mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I forgot about these - old school. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheila~
    I'm so glad you posted this! I come from a family where growing up I thought a box was the only way to make desserts. This is just as simple though, I must say!

    I ended up having "one of those days" last weekend. We were planning on going to a friends house for dinner. Our part of the meal was to bring the pizza & my friend was going to bake brownies...something else too I think, but all I could fixate on were the thought of the brownies. I could even smell the deliciousness for the week beforehand. Well, we went to my friends house, kids in toe. Right when we walked in the front door my oldest, unexpectedly spews vomit all over their foyer. I yell, "get him out, get him out!" While my friends and their children gasp. Yes, I felt horrible on MANY levels! I felt bad for my son and his sour tummy, I felt bad for my friends who now have vomit in their rug, but I also felt bad because I could smell the brownies baking in the oven... but had to leave... I dropped the pizza & ran out of the house. I knew it was the "right" thing to do, even though I would have loved to ask for the brownies in a to-go box. Man, that was like having an itch & not being able to scratch it. I was so close too!

    Thankfully, after peace was returned to the house (ie after bed-time) you had posted this recipe. It was the sign I needed to get baking, and baking I did. These were DELICIOUS! Not to mention quick & easy.

    Now all is well in the Betts' household thanks to you!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete