September 17, 2010

keepin' it REAL- I mess up recipes.

Confession #1: I do not always have recipes come out perfectly the first or even second time around. Sometimes the recipes that I make the most are those that I mess up. Like the one I am going to share with you today. My mom's Apple Bread. I have watched my mom make this my whole life, I have made it myself countless times. So why today did I pour all the batter into one loaf pan. Why I ask you, WHY....why....WHY? (grimace, nashing of teeth). Usually I fiddle with the recipe and make the mistakes I've made work. Today, I just had to bake it 20 minutes longer and put foil over the top, for the last 30 minutes so that I wouldn't burn it on top. It turned out fine.

Unlike my Mac-n-Cheese that I shared with you the other night. I created the recipe just fine, and most of the family was able to eat their dinner. But the problem was that somehow one of the burners did not get turned all the way off....hmmm distracted mother of four perhaps. One of the gas burners was left on the extra low setting and the pan of Mac was placed back on the stove, on that burner, with the lid on. Just perfect for a slow even burn. It took me two days to clean that pan. AND worst of all there were no left overs!!!!!

Who's the women in charge of this kitchen anyway?

Yikes, she needs to be fired. And what she has a food blog? Who does she think she is, just about burning down her house and at the sacrifice of delicious Mac-n-Cheese.

Confession #2: I am not friends with the broiler. Me and that broiler of mine, are always having problems. If I don't burn "the bread", when it's under the broiler it is a very rare occasion. The Occasion would be one where I stand right next to the stove and don't leave the breads side, or if I have the genius idea of using the timer, which I never remember to use.

Enough of my cooking fauz pas. How about an easy recipe for all those apples you are going to pick this weekend. What no apples to pick? You need to come visit me in the land of Fruit and Maple Syrup!

Mom's Apple Bread
Ingredients needed:
1 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter(you can use salted if that's all you have)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups chopped apples (macintosh, spy, granny smith)
topping
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cold butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
makes 2 loaves of bread (unless you are a stoopy like me)

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. mix ingredients in order given. Creaming butter and sugar first, then eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and then dry ingredients.


3. Now add the apples. The batter will seem like it's half batter and half apples. It's thick. That is just fine. Grease your loaf pans and spoon half in one pan and half in the other.


4. Add topping ingredients together in a bowl and crumb together using a fork. Crumble this evenly over batter. Place in oven and bake for 50-60 minutes

TA-Daaaaa! Confession #3: I like to say TA-daaaa!, and it embarrasses my kids.

Keepin' it real.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment