September 23, 2010

roasted tomato basil cream SAUCE


Next to coffee and chocolate I think roasted tomatoes are my third addiction. I love the smell of tomatoes cooking! Mmmm-mmm yummy! They are so versatile too. I roasted these on Tuesday, put them in this container, and stored them in the refrigerator until yesterday. Roasted tomatoes will keep 5-7 days in the refrigerator after roasting, or if you freeze them they will last 3 months. You can check my post on roasting tomatoes out here.



There they are, 2 cups of roasted tomatoes. Pretty little suckers. This sauce is so easy I am not even going to do a printable for it. You cannot ruin it. I promise. And if you are watching your fat intake...LEAVE. No really...DON'T leave, what I meant to say was you can leave the heavy cream out and add broth or white wine instead.



In a sauce pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and as much fresh minced garlic as you would like. I used 2 cloves of garlic, because my husband is a vampire and he cannot tolerate it. Saute' that on low heat. You don't want the garlic to burn.

Seriously, my husband is not a vampire, but truly he does not tolerate garlic. Which has been a huge problem in our marriage. By the way we will be celebrating our 16th year of marriage tomorrow! And we have survived the "War over Garlic" thus far. I keep sneaking it in on him in small doses. Hoping to build up a tolerance...as you can see we are only up to 2 cloves.....it's been a process.

After the garlic has warmed up in the pan, pour in the roasted tomatoes and stir around, use your spoon to break the tomatoes up a bit.



While your garlic and tomatoes are getting to know each other, chop 1/4 cup fresh basil.




Now for the really good stuff, add 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream. I just eyeballed it, but I'm sure it was about 1/2 cup. Stir and let simmer for 1 minute. This is a quick sauce less that 5 minutes!



Now toss in Basil. Isn't he handsome..and he smell good too. OOh-la-la Basil I love you.

Boil up any pasta you prefer. I had rigatoni handy, but I actually think this sauce would be perfect over gnocchi.


Ingredient list:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
1/2 cup heavy cream (or broth or white wine)
salt and pepper to taste
pasta


Hope you enjoy!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. YUM!! I made this for dinner a few nights ago and it was delish!! I added both the wine and cream...my son wanted the cream but I wanted the wine so we compromised. I served it with baked zucchini spears, pasta and crusty bread and ended up eating my second helping over the zucchini alone.

    ReplyDelete