September 02, 2010

roasting tomaTOES

Finally, my maters are ripening up. I planted three tomato plants this year along with some herbs. The plants have a large amount of fruit on them...but they have been slow to turn red. One of my favorite ways to eat tomatoes is roasted. MMmmm..mmm.mmm..mmM! You can do so much with them. once you have roasted them. Soup, bruschetta, pasta sauce, salads, pizza, or if you are like me I just eat them fresh off the pan...they are lucky if they make it to any other recipe. And the smell, is heavenly. It is really simple. And you know what I am sure you could freeze them for a later date. I never have...they never make it past the day I have roasted them.

What you will need:
roma tomatoes
kosher salt
pepper
olive oil
cookie sheets
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

First, after you have washed and dried your tomaotes, you should slice off the tops, then cut lengthwise, right down the middle. See above specimen.

Lay them all out in neat rows on your cookie sheets. Tomatoes really like order. After they are all in there places give them a drizzle of olive oil.


My mom is Oregon for the summer, but somehow her hand appeared in my kitchen. Weird. Right there in my picture viewer was my mothers hand. It haunts me this hand. I poured some salt in my mothers hand and sprinkled it semi generously over the tomatoes.



Then I take my pepper mill and give them each a turn of pepper, or if you don't have a pepper mill (mine is a cheapy from Costco, found in the spice aisle) you can use regular old ground pepper.


Then pop those babies in your preheated oven for 45 minutes or maybe an hour depending on how meaty your tomatoes are. They should be shriveling slightly and carmelizing on the bottom of the pan.

Oh be still my heart! Stay tuned for: pasta/ pizza sauce and Roasted Tomato Basil Soup. Do you have smell-O-blogger? That would be a very dangerous thing....

Get Roastin'!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Sheila! Your post was timely...I just brought in 3 baskets of tomatoes from my garden...hadn't thought of roasting them but now I will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing we don't have "smell-o-blogger" for your last post! Love myself some roasted tomatoes! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete