January 21, 2010

Egg Rolls can solve ALL our problems!


Yes, I have discovered that egg rolls are the answer to all our problems, and maybe yours too, at least for one night! Besides the fried part, egg rolls are really pretty nutritious. And if you fry them quick and let them drain on paper towels, I bet the amount of grease is minuscule. That's what I am telling myself anyway. So here is the skinny on these delites!

They do take a bit of forethought. Just like any problem solving you need to think it through, make some preparations, and then throw it in the hot oil and hope for the best!

EGG ROLL Ingredients
3 cups of chicken, shrimp, scallops one or all the skies the limit and you can leave the meat and add more vegis if you want
1 Tblsp chopped fresh ginger
1/2 cup diced onion
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 1/2 cups mushrooms sliced and diced into small pieces
1 cup of shredded carrot
1 cup of shredded broccoli stem/cabbage blend
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
1/2 cup green onion finely sliced
1 can of water chestnuts chopped fine
1 package egg roll wrappers (you can find them in the produce section, in my neck of the woods anyway)
oil for frying

I used shrimp and scallops because I had left over in the freezer from our Christmas Fondue party. I sauteed them in a pan with vegetable oil, then took them out with a slotted spoon and added the onion, garlic and ginger to the pan and let cook through for just a minute while I diced up the shrimp/scallop into small pieces.




Add the shrimp back into the pan and heat through, 3minutes tops! Then add your mushrooms, let these cook down for 2 minutes. Carrots and shredded broccoli blend to follow, toss around for a few minutes you just want this to heat through. You don't want to loose the crunchiness of the vegis.






Take off the heat and add the soy sauce and toss this around well too. At this point you could put it in the fridge and make it the next day. Whatever you do you DO want it to cool down before you have to wrap up your egg rolls if its too hot the juices with just melt the egg roll wrappers.


Look at that! They are so happy their hangin' out side ways!

Just before you start to wrap the little dudes up you need to add the water chestnuts and the green onion and the red pepper flakes. Then you can get yourself a slotted spoon so any juices drip off before you place it on the wrapper.

EGG ROLL WRAP UP step 1



step 2


step 3-tuck in the sides, just like you are doing a babies diaper...do any of you remember cloth diapers?....am I dating myself? Okay, just tuck in the sides people!

step 4- you will need a small dish of water near by to dip your finger in and wet down the top triangle of the wrapper so that it sticks.

step 5- now take it home, roll that baby up!

Here is where it gets iffy, I put about 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in the bottom of my dutch oven and got it hot. How hot? I don't really know so it was bubbling a bit when I tossed a drop of water in there. Just a drop mind you! Then I carefully placed them in the pan, when they looked like they were well browned I turned them and let them get nice and crisp on the other side. Using tongs I lifted them out and let them drain a second, before putting on paper towel to drain. If you have a wok AWESOME for you! I don't so my big O dutch oven works just fine.

I did not serve these with anything...loser mom. But you could make some rice, or a nice green salad with a thai peanut dressing. We had soccer and lots of homework tonight so it was egg roll throw down the gullet night.

This one got a big THUMBS UP by my 13 year old.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, these look so good..maybe a little too much work but oh, so worth it I am sure in the end! Especially if they just arrive @ your house after your good friend has made them.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm Mmm - I love egg rolls! kdynes415@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete