December 03, 2009

Comfort FOOD

I don't really have much to say. Or I guess I should re word that, because I have alot to say, I am just to lazy to write it all down write now. But I do want to share with you a yummy dinner I made this week. Shepherds Pie! Yummy, yummy, yummy feels so good in my chubby tummy. That little diddy is brought to you by my father who has many a little diddy he likes to say. So ok here it is..............

SHEPHERDS pie

1 1/2 lb lean ground beef

1 can tomato soup

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 sm can or 3Tbl of tomato paste

1 Tbl worcestershire sauce (okay I had to go to my fridge and check the spelling on that one)

1 tsp paprika (if you like smokey flavors use a smoked sweet paprika)

1/2 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp ancho chili powder or just regular ol' chili powder is good

1 tsp curry powder

couple shakes of crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)

season salt to taste

2lb (8-10) yukon gold potatoes

1cup shredded cheese (whatever you have will work I almost always use the Mexican blend)
1/2 stick butter
1 bag of frozen green beans, or corn, or peas (pick your poison)

Brown the ground beef in a good sized skillet so you have room for stirrin. Then add everything up to the seasoning salt, cook until bubbly and flavors have come together 10-15 minutes over med/low heat. Meanwhile boil your taters, drain water add butter,add butter, and splash or two of milk, whip those up with mixer, stir in cheese, a dash o salt and pepper of course. NOW you need to take a casserole dish and layer the meat mix on bottom, your choice of vegi on top of meat (sometimes I put halfsies ie. corn on one side, peas on the other) then spread the whipped cheesy taters on top bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Yummy! This freezes well too, and is better as left overs.

The first time I had this dish was on my honeymoon at a brewpub in Vermont, I would like to go back and see if my version compares with the one I ate there, it was so scrumptious. Then the next time I had shepherds pie I was in another pub in London and it was not so yummy. It was bland, no spice and the taters where dry, BLAH, but what could I say I was in London, so whatever right?!
Enjoy, and make your kids try it, they will come to love as my kids have. Courtesy bite for the cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment